Any shortened form of a word or phrase. Use periods in most two-letter abbreviations; undergraduate degrees are an exception to this rule (e.g., BS, BA). Refer to the ASU Brand Guide for official abbreviations of university campuses, colleges, and offices.
In general, avoid using abbreviations or acronyms on first reference unless readily understood by your audience.
W. P. Carey acronyms may be used to shorten the names of academic degrees, research centers and initiatives, and other groups and events as needed. For content facing external audiences, always spell out an acronym on first reference, followed by its abbreviated form within parentheses. Building codes are not acronyms, and as such follow separate rules.
Please note that use of the acronym WPC always requires approval.
Official names and corresponding acronyms specific to the W. P. Carey School include the following:
Academic degrees, programs
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Executive MBA (EMBA)*
- Master of Accountancy (MACC)
- Master of Accountancy — Data and Analytics; MACC D&A*
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)**
- Master of Science in Business Analytics (MS‑BA)***
- Master of Science in Finance (MS‑FIN)**
- Master of Science in Global Logistics (MS‑GL)***
- Master of Science in Information Management (MSIM)
- Master of Science in Management (MiM)****
- Master of Real Estate Development (MRED)
- Master of Taxation (MTax)****
Research centers and initiatives
- Center for Services Leadership (CSL)
- Center for the Advanced Study in Economic Efficiency (CASEE)
- Center for Environmental Economics and Sustainability Policy (CEESP)
- Complex Adaptive Supply Networks Research Accelerator (CASN‑RA)***
- Health Sector Supply Chain Research Consortium (HSRC‑ASU)***
Groups, events, and other
- Department of Information Systems Club (DISC)
- Economic Club of Phoenix (ECP)
- Hispanic Business Alumni (HBA)
- Investment Banking Industry Scholars (IBIS)
- Young Women in Business (YWiB)****
*The Master of Accountancy — Data and Analytics may be referred to as the MACC D&A on second reference. Note correct capitalization and spacing, including the ampersand with no surrounding spaces.
**MBA programs are an exception to the rules. The acronym MBA stands on its own in first reference to Master of Business Administration, and need not be explained in marketing and communications content. The terms Executive MBA and EMBA should also stand alone — there is no need to put EMBA in parentheses following Executive MBA. In situations where an audience may not know what EMBA stands for, avoid use of the acronym altogether.
***Use a nonbreaking hyphen on all references, for the hyphenated acronyms above.
****Please note the appropriate capitalization and formatting of these acronym forms.